- 11:00 a.m. daily
- 367 High Street (Royal Mile), opposite St. Giles’ Cathedral
- Free Tour
- 2 hours*
*At the end of the tour, the guide will be available for as long as required, to answer questions and give recommendations to help you make the most of the rest of your trip.
Follow us into the cobblestone streets of the Old Town, as we explore the Royal Mile and its hidden labyrinth of alleyways!
See the Mercat Cross, a meeting point for merchants and minstrels, and discover how thieves were punished there. Admire St Giles’ Cathedral, and learn about the controversy and power struggles that came with the Church Reformation. Meet the most famous philosopher of the Enlightenment period, and find out which of your favourite books were written by Scottish authors. Take in spectacular views of Edinburgh Castle and wander down the iconic Victoria Street – or is it Diagon Alley? Hear about the grisly executions that took place in the Grassmarket. See the city’s most famous cemetery, Greyfriars Kirkyard, and discover the story of Greyfriars Bobby, the city’s most beloved dog.
As a UNESCO World Heritage site, visiting the Old Town is like taking a walk through history, in this beautiful city, one of the most unique places you’ll ever visit. It’s a journey through time, in a place where the buildings seem to be alive with stories. We know these stories, so let us share them with you!
Please note, we allow each of our guides to craft their own tour, to reflect their own personal style of storytelling, so the exact content and route may vary slightly. Nevertheless, in most of the cases, you will discover:
- Brief historical introduction about Edinburgh and Scotland, from the early settlers to the present situation, including independence and Brexit.
- The Royal Mile.
- St. Giles’ Cathedral and the Church Reformation.
- The Mercat Cross.
- The true story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
- David Hume and Scottish Enlightenment.
- Victoria Street.
- Scottish cuisine – what exactly is haggis?
- Grassmarket and the fascinating story of Maggie Dickson.
- Edinburgh Castle.
- Greyfriars Kirkyard.
- The haunted Covenanters’ Prison.
- The remarkable tale of the city’s most loyal dog, Greyfriars Bobby.
- Recommendations for bars, restaurants, and other places to visit…
- And much more!